The Association of Universities for Research in Astronomy, Inc. (AURA) operates several observatory centers (including the National Optical Astronomy Observatory, the National Solar Observatory, Large Synoptic Survey Telescope and the Gemini Observatory) in the United States and Chile under cooperative agreements with the National Science Foundation.
The Central Administrative Services (CAS) unit of AURA is seeking an Accounts Payable Specialist for its office in Tucson, AZ. The Accounts Payable Specialist is responsible for processing high-volume, full-cycle Accounts Payable, check runs, vendor communications, and maintaining accurate accounts payable records.
Essential Functions to Include:
- Prepares accounts payable vouchers and inputs these into PC based computer system.
- Matches invoices to receivers and purchase orders, and account codes prior to entering into system.
- Checks invoices for proper extension, taxing and discounts.
- May assist in maintaining records for encumbering and paying employee and visitor travel.
- Assembles checks and purchase orders returned from Data Processing and orders them for review by the Accounting Supervisor.
- Handles all vendor correspondence via phone or e-mail.
- Receives, researches and resolves a variety of routine internal and external inquiries concerning account status, including communicating the resolution of discrepancies to appropriate persons.
- Files, maintains, and distributes accounting documents, records and reports.
- Responsible for efficiently performing all assigned general accounting functions.
- Other miscellaneous duties, as may be assigned by supervisor.
- Graduation from High School or equivalent.
- 6 months Accounts Payable and/or Accounts Receivable experience with a PC based accounting system.
AURA/CAS offers an excellent benefits package, competitive salary commensurate with experience, and a very attractive work environment.
Applicants are requested to submit a cover letter and resume to apply for this position. Please include a telephone number where we may contact you during business hours, 8 AM – 3 PM.
AURA, as a leader in the astronomical community, is committed to diversity and inclusion. AURA develops and supports programs that advance our organizational commitment to diversity, broaden participation, and encourage the advancement of diversity throughout the astronomical scientific workforce.