2233 – Public Works Supervisor
Starting Range: $26.88/hr
This position is in the Regional Flood Control Department with working schedule of 6:30 am - 3:00 pm Monday - Friday.
High School Diploma/GED documentation required at time of interview
Supervises, coordinates, and implements public works maintenance and construction activities and contracts throughout multiple work sites for a specified department or major division. This differs from Public Works Crew Supervisor which supervises and participates in the activities of assigned crews within a geographically assigned area.
Qualifying education and experience must be clearly documented in the "Education" and "Work Experience" sections of the application. Do not substitute a resume for your application or write "see resume" on your application.
- Six years of experience in public works maintenance, repair or construction and two years of lead or supervisory experience in a public works construction or maintenance setting. (Refer to Special Notice Items.) (Graduation from an accredited college or technical school in environmental technology, engineering or a related discipline may substitute for four years of the general experience.) OR:
- Three years of experience with Pima County as a Public Works Crew Supervisor.
- Experience planning, scheduling, and supervising maintenance and repair activities, while complying with Federal,State, and County regulations.
- Experience investigating complaints and inquires from general public and elected officials and managing corrective actions.
- Working knowledge of photo processing software, database entry for complaint tracking, use of GIS programs like Pima Maps, and computer programs (Word, Excel,and Adobe Acrobat) to document the findings and responses.
- Experience managing all aspects of demolition projects - secure contractor, complete site assessment, monitor expenses and oversee job to completion. Review contract solicitations and recommend vendor selection for county contractors.
- Experience representing an agency and inter-agency at coordination meetings (e.g Green Valley Coordination Council Arroyos and Streets, and Risk Management Safety Meetings)
Pima County Human Resources Department reserves the right to admit to the selection process only those candidates that meet the minimum/desired qualifications. All applications will be assessed based on an evaluation of the listed education and experience. Candidates meeting the minimum/desired qualifications may be further evaluated/scored against any advertised Preferred Qualifications. The hiring authority will interview and select the successful candidate from a referral list provided by Human Resources. Additional assessments/testing may be required as part of the selection process.
Licenses and Certificates: Valid driver license is required at time of application. Valid AZ driver license is required at time of appointment. The successful applicant will be subject to a 39-month DOT Motor Vehicle Record review to determine applicant's suitability to operate county vehicles in accordance with Pima County administrative procedures. Failure to obtain and maintain the required licenses and certifications shall be grounds for termination. Any offer of employment resulting from this recruitment is contingent upon Fleet Service's review and approval of the candidate's driving record. Some positions may require satisfactory completion of a 40-hour OSHA course in hazardous materials management and certification as a Manager of Landfill Operations (MOLO) by the Solid Waste Management Association of North America prior to end of initial/promotional probation. Some positions may require an Arizona Department of Environmental Quality Grade 2 collection system operator certification within one year of appointment. Failure to obtain/maintain the required licensure/certification/registration shall be grounds for termination.
Special Notice Items: The County requires pre-employment background checks. Successful candidates will receive a post-offer, pre-employment background screening to include verification of work history, education and criminal conviction history. A prior criminal conviction will not automatically disqualify a candidate from employment with the County. Some positions within this classification may require experience in the operation of heavy equipment. Some positions may carry the risk of exposure to infectious diseases, asbestos or wastewater and sewage products, therefore special medical screening prior to or during employment may be necessary to assure employee health and safety. Some positions may require the ability to enter and work in confined spaces, which may require the proper wearing of individual safety and protective equipment.
Physical/Sensory Requirements: Some positions require the ability to lift or move equipment weighing from 50 to 100 pounds. Any additional physical and sensory abilities will be determined by position.
CLOSING DATE: Friday 09/20/2019 11:59 PM Arizona Time.
When applying to this position, please note the Job Number is 2019-01041.
About this company
The Human Resources Department partners with clients to recruit and retain a highly committed, highly competent, and results-oriented workforce by leading Pima County in the acquisition, maintenance, development and measurement of its human assets and by providing various employment-related services and activities. Services include: Recruitment and Selection, Classification and Compensation, E-Verify®, Personnel Records, Employment Rights, ADA Administration, FMLA Administration, Employee Benefits and Wellness, Management Training, Performance Management, HIPAA / Privacy Practices and Federal, State and local labor reporting.
Location/Region: Tucson, AZ