SUCCEED WHERE YOU HAVE THE POWER!
Substation Apparatus Technician/Journeyman
Salary Minimum: $39.91/ hour
To safely, economically and efficiently install, maintain, test and calibrate as needed, for all assigned equipment owned or to be maintained by the Cooperative. The Substation Apparatus Technician must work in close relationship with the Substation Apparatus Manager and the Substation Apparatus Working Foreman to ensure the communication of information relative to operation, problems or personnel difficulties and any other items of interest or general knowledge as they occur.
- High school diploma or recognized equivalent.
- Completion of a (4) four-year apprenticeship program which is recognized by State Apprenticeship Council.
- 4 years field experience preferred.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of high voltage transmission power systems operations and maintenance.
- Strong mechanical abilities.
- Ability to read and follow schematic prints and wiring diagrams.
- Working knowledge of personal computers strongly preferred.
- Preferred working knowledge of the following testing equipment: Power quality test equipment and oscilloscope. Transformer turn ratio tester, breaker analyzer, ductor, HiPot tester, power factor test equipment, and megger.
- Shall possess or have the ability to obtain a valid Arizona Commercial Drivers License (Class A) within six months from date of hire.
This position is at Arizona G&T Cooperatives corporate headquarters in Benson.
In addition, we offer an attractive compensation/benefits package.
Applications must be received no later than end of day on Wednesday, August 21, 2019
Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide a drug-free work environment.
About this company
We are Member-owned, not-for-profit electric generation and transmission (G&T) cooperatives. Working together, our employees fulfill the joint mission of providing reliable, affordable power to electric coops across the Southwest.
Arizona G&T Cooperatives provide power to more than 160,000 electric meters and 400,000 people in Arizona, California and New Mexico through six Class A Member distribution cooperatives. One of 63 G&T electric coops in the nation, we own and operate Apache Generating Station near Cochise, east of Benson. The plant has a combined gross generating capacity of 605 megawatts. We also purchase power to meet member energy needs during peak summer energy use.
Our transmission system operates and maintains more than 622 miles of electric power transmission line and 27 substations reaching out from our Apache Generating Station, across Arizona to the northwestern corner of the state. We also operate more than 30 telecommunications towers used for phone and data relay services by our member cooperatives and customers.
On March 1, 2016, Southwest Transmission Cooperative merged into Arizona Electric Power Cooperative (AEPCO). Sierra Southwest Cooperative Services Inc. is dedicated to serving as a vehicle to meet the renewable energy needs of our Members. AEPCO and Sierra operate under the banner of Arizona G&T Cooperatives.
We are members of Touchstone Energy®, a national alliance of more than 750 independently owned electric coops in 47 states. Touchstone Energy members agree to provide high standards of service to customers and maintain a strong commitment to the brand’s promise of integrity, accountability, innovation and commitment to community.
Arizona G&T Cooperatives is one of the largest employers in Cochise County, employing more than 230 people, mostly in the Benson and Cochise, Arizona, area. Career opportunities include power plant workers, transmission linemen, engineers and environmental services experts.
Location/Region: Benson, AZ