4719 – ITD - Technical Support Engineer
(Job# 2018 - 01312)
This position is in the Information Technology Department.
Salary Grade: 60R
Leads and participates in the installation, configuration, troubleshooting and maintenance of the computing or communications center environment within the centralized Information Technology Department (ITD).
(Work assignments may vary depending on the department's needs and will be communicated to the applicant or incumbent by the supervisor.)
Operational and Client Management
Leads and participates in the transition of new systems into production status through final approval of production control process (PCP) documentation;
Leads and participates in the installation, configuration, troubleshooting and maintenance of the computing or communications installed client environment;
Assists in the development and implementation of system administration policies, procedures, guidelines and standards;
Assists in defining appropriate service level objectives (SLO) for the computing and/or communications center;
Assists in the implementation of SLO measurement criteria and methods to extract performance data to enable SLO reporting;
Participates in forecasting computing/communications growth and provides pro-active capacity management;
Assists in the disposal of obsolete client and computing/communications center equipment;
Assists in client license compliance;
Assists in maintaining an up-to-date client software environment through periodic patch installations;
Assists in maintaining a virus free client environment through active deployment of virus cleansing programs/applications;
Leads continuous improvement efforts in the computing and/or communications center environment.
Engineering & Maintenance
Assists in the installation, configuration, troubleshooting and maintenance of computing and/or communications center infrastructure and associated documentation;
Assists in the resolution of client services and center related problems;
Assists with the implementation of vendor supplied upgrades and patches;
Assists in the set-up and on-going maintenance of disaster recovery and capacity planning requirements;
Assists with the set-up and on-going maintenance of record retention requirements.
Functions as the project leader/manager on small to medium projects;
Assists in the planning and implementation of the IT computing and/or communications center business plan;
Assists in delivery of critical computing and/or communications center capabilities to meet application and internal technical infrastructure needs;
Participates on various Group Technical Infrastructure teams to drive standardization and strategic implementations;
Interfaces with vendors for on-going life cycle maintenance and support activities.
May supervise and evaluate performance of assigned staff;
Analyzes, evaluates and coordinates resolution and implementation of specific critical computing and/or communications center components within the IT support environment;
Leads development of critical computing and/or communications center and/or IT support components to enhance service delivery and support to customer base.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- desktop or other operating systems and affiliated software components, services, protocols and technologies, which may include office automation applications (e.g., Excel, Visio, Word, PowerPoint) and other vendor commercial applications interfaced into client computing and communications environment; or
- wireless communications equipment such as fixed, portable and mobile radio devices, dispatch console equipment, as well as related radio system and remote site control equipment with working knowledge of FCC rules, regulations and technical standards;
- security standards and procedures within Pima County;
- IT Infrastructure Library for the Incident and Problem Management environment;
- hand held communication devices (e.g., Blackberries, radios), other affiliated devices and email messaging/data synchronization applications and procedures;
- voice and data services devices;
- computing or communications architectures and affiliated hardware components and technologies including networking, modems, monitors, projection devices and other peripheral devices, to include desktop computing, printer and other peripheral device driver, connectivity configurations and administration utilities (e.g., Microsoft SMS etc);
- client computing and communications hardware and software infrastructure related Security technologies and alternative marketplace solutions utilized for departmental and enterprise solutions to include some of the following:
- Exchange / Citrix / IIS, Windows Server and Active Directory, Enterprise backup and redundancy;
- multi-layer switch network and MPLS network design, traffic engineering and management, to include VOIP;
- digital microwave equipment, antenna combining equipment, bi-directional amplifiers, tower top amplifiers;
- principles and techniques of effective supervision.
- organizing workload, being proactive and managing a wide variety of customer requests simultaneously;
- written, verbal and interpersonal communications;
- operating within a fast paced, highly technical environment;
- writing procedures and work instructions;
- operating as a member of a team;
- employing quality skill sets and diagnostic tools;
- being resourceful, self-managed, customer focused and demonstrated ability to maintain a solid understanding of client computing and communications deployment, configuration, upgrade and integration concepts;
- coordinating and communicating with internal and external customers/vendors;
- employing diagnostic, analytical and conceptual skills with detailed orientation;
- leading individual employees and work teams.
(1) A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college, university or technical trade school with a major in computer science, computer engineering, management information systems (MIS), or a closely related field as determined by the appointing authority at the time of recruitment and four years of work experience in the maintenance and administration of client computing or communications hardware and software infrastructure.
(2) An Associate's degree from an accredited college, university or technical trade school with a major in computer science, computer engineering, management information systems (MIS), or a closely related field as determined by the appointing authority at the time of recruitment and six years of work experience in information technology including four years of experience in the maintenance and administration of client computing or communications hardware and software infrastructure.
(Additional relevant work experience and/or education from an accredited college, university or technical trade school may be substituted.)
Qualifying education and experience must be clearly documented in the "Education" and "Work Experience" sections of the application. Do not substitute a resume for your application or write "see resume" on your application.
Preferred Qualifications (Be specific in describing your experience in your application. Ensure the descriptions provided illustrate your competencies, specifically addressing the required and preferred qualifications.):
- Experience in a Windows Domain environment, server software configuration, server installation, Windows server management, change management activities, infrastructure design and execution of complex test plans in a Windows Domain environment.
- Experience administering an enterprise VMWare virtual environment, HA, DRS, VDS, experience with vSphere Cloud Suite, host profiles, Update Manager and virtual machine performance.
- Experience managing, implementing and monitoring enterprise storage administration.
- Experience implementing enterprise level infrastructure projects.
- Experience supporting disaster recovery solutions.
- Experience in server infrastructure security.
- Experience managing enterprise infrastructure monitoring systems.
- Experience in enterprise backup and replication solutions.
- Experience in SAN\NAS administration, Fibre Channel, FCoE, ISCSI NFS.
- Resume is required.
Pima County Human Resources Department reserves the right to admit to the selection process only those candidates that meet the minimum/desired qualifications. All applications will be assessed based on an evaluation of the listed education and experience. Candidates meeting the minimum/desired qualifications may be further evaluated/scored against any advertised Preferred Qualifications. The hiring authority will interview and select the successful candidate from a referral list provided by Human Resources. Additional assessments/testing may be required as part of the selection process.
Physical/Sensory Requirements: Physical and sensory abilities will be determined by position.
CLOSING DATE: Fri. 02/15/19 11:59 PM Arizona Time
When applying to this position, please note the Job Number is 2018 - 01312.
About this company
The Human Resources Department partners with clients to recruit and retain a highly committed, highly competent, and results-oriented workforce by leading Pima County in the acquisition, maintenance, development and measurement of its human assets and by providing various employment-related services and activities. Services include: Recruitment and Selection, Classification and Compensation, E-Verify®, Personnel Records, Employment Rights, ADA Administration, FMLA Administration, Employee Benefits and Wellness, Management Training, Performance Management, HIPAA / Privacy Practices and Federal, State and local labor reporting.
Location/Region: Tucson, AZ