We are a globally diversified mining and metals company with operations in Australia, South Africa and South America. Headquartered in Perth, Western Australia, securities for South32 trade on three exchanges, the Australian Securities exchange (ASX), Johannesburg Stock Exchange (JSE) and London Stock Exchange (LSE).
Our purpose is to make a difference by developing natural resources, improving people’s lives now and for generations to come.
Our people are central to our success and demonstrate our determination to be a best-in-class operator. We aspire to be an inclusive organisation, where our workforce reflects the broader demographic of the countries and communities where we operate.
South32 is developing the world class Hermosa lead, zinc and silver project near the town of Patagonia, south of Tucson Arizona.
Based in Tucson, Arizona, the Specialist Communities will be responsible for coordinating community consultation activities whilst protecting and improving South32’s reputation through proactive, relationship-based engagement with relevant external stakeholders.
- Champion the South32 operating model, Values, Code of Conduct and Care Strategy and relentlessly addressing deviations from these.
- Planning, managing and representing South32 in day-to-day stakeholder engagement via building and maintaining relationships with both internal and external stakeholders and key community leaders.
- Working closely with the Corporate Affairs Lead, Hermosa leadership team and other internal stakeholders to ensure timely and accurate information and mapping of business-critical issues and subsequent stakeholder management.
- Executing the Hermosa community investment and sponsorship plans.
- Establishing and maintaining relationships with governmental agencies and civic and professional organizations in the region to execute the Hermosa Stakeholder Engagement Plan.
- Identifying opportunities for stakeholder liaison and relationship building.
- Monitoring stakeholder consultation activities on key Hermosa issues as well as consults and answers concerns from stakeholders.
- Monitoring stakeholder communications to keep abreast of opinions and key issues relevant to South32.
- Providing regular reports of corporate affairs activities and risks.
- Organizing and participating in South32 advocacy activities.
- Facilitating maintenance of the Community and Corporate Affairs Standard requirements.
- Collecting, maintaining and analyzing relevant social data to inform business decision making.
- Developing, planning, organizing, and administering policies and procedures for the organization to ensure administrative and operational objectives are met.
- Reviewing and generating reports concerning activities, expenses, budget, government activities (legislation, statutes, court rulings, etc.), and other items that may positively or negatively impact South32
Qualifications, Skills & Experience
- Relevant tertiary qualification is preferred.
- Knowledge of federal, state and local laws, legal codes, administrative procedures, government regulations, agency rules as they relate to mining activity and logistics.
- Knowledge of community resources and providers.
- Skill in compiling and preparing reports, and analyzing and interpreting policies and procedures.
- Managing engagement with senior external stakeholders to establish a solid understanding of South32 and the Hermosa Project.
- Ability to collaborate with senior internal stakeholders.
- Analytical thinker with the ability to ‘work through’ issues and appropriate responses.
- Strong communications skills including writing experience and ability.
- Strong project management skills to meet deadlines, establish clear priorities quickly and bring projects to completion on time and within budget.
- Experience in managing stakeholder relations for a complex and large organization.
- Knowledge of and experience working with local governments, civic organizations, and professional associations.
- Project management experience.
Why chose us?
We are always seeking people who share our values to join our team. Our people are fundamental to our success. We’re focused on creating an inclusive workplace, with the right people in the right roles, who are engaged, empowered and appropriately rewarded.
The closing date for application to this role is 31 January 2019
Location/Region: Tucson, AZ