Under general supervision of the Facilities Manager, installs, troubleshoots, maintains and repairs refrigeration and air conditioning units, evaporative coolers, gas fired boilers, forced air furnace units and associated distribution and control systems. Coordinates activities of other trade shops, building maintenance workers and subcontractors.
Disclaimer: The following duties are not intended to serve as a comprehensive list of all duties performed by all employees in this classification, only a representative summary of primary duties and responsibilities. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties listed and may be required to perform additional position specific duties.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Installs refrigeration, cooling and heating units and related distribution/ventilation and temperature control systems.
- Troubleshoots direct and indirect expansion refrigeration systems, electrical, pneumatic control and computer based automated energy management control systems, air handlers, boilers and forced air furnaces.
- Rebuilds refrigeration, cooling and heating systems and related auxiliary equipment or components such as motors, blowers, fans, pumps, etc.
- Provides hands on technical and professional guidance to building maintenance workers possessing the aptitude and willingness to learn.
- Troubleshoots, maintains, installs, or repairs packaged refrigerated kitchen equipment and water fountains.
- Calibrates programmable logic controllers and pneumatic control devices.
- Troubleshoots and adjusts seasonal computerized timing systems.
- Performs seasonal change over from heating to cooling, or cooling to heating.
- Performs preventive maintenance on boilers and refrigeration units.
- Maintains EPA refrigerant logs.
- Determines methods of repair and materials needed within established expenditure limits.
- Initiates purchase requisitions as needed or directed.
- Properly recovers refrigerant and disposes of hazardous and refrigerant waste materials.
- Performs electrical and plumbing tasks in conjunction with repairing and installing units.
- Investigates and repairs small leaks in natural gas lines.
- Keeps informed on technical developments in the field. Performs safety inspections on vehicles and adds fuel and fluids as needed.
- Operates hand and power tools as needed in the performance of duties.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Knowledge of all electric codes, methods, standard practices and other related safety regulations, such as OSHA.
- Knowledge of all types of HVAC equipment and their operation.
- Ability to read and understand diagrams, schematics and blueprints.
- Ability to be trained and to use energy management control system software and related district software.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to braze various malleable and non malleable metals using compressed gas and/or oxygen/acetylene gas.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of situations.
- Ability to handle emergencies, confrontation and conflict without an emotional response.
- Ability to work cooperatively and courteously with staff, students, parents and community agency members.
- Perform all duties in accordance with Federal and State laws, district procedures and Board policies.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- National certification for handling and recovering refrigerant. (minimum requirement: Universal classification)
- 5 years experience in the maintenance and operation of HVAC systems
- Valid Arizona Driver’s License
- Any equivalent combination of training, education and experience that meets minimum requirements
*****Internal candidates must submit a request for transfer form signed by your site administrator within 5 working days of the posting date. ******
$19.91/hour (ASRS Retirees will have a lower hourly rate due to the Alternate Contribution Rate)
12 Month position - 8 hours/day
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Discrimination against an otherwise qualified individual with a disability or any individual by reason of race, color, religion, sex, age, or national origin, is prohibited. Efforts will be made in recruitment and employment to ensure equal opportunity in employment for all qualified persons.
About this company
The Marana Unified School District is an integral part of the community and we take pride in knowing that the district is one of the reasons families choose to live in the Marana area. Our schools are dedicated to providing safe, secure and nurturing environments that facilitate and enhance student achievement and success. We are confident that we have a very special and educationally enriching experience to offer the children in our community.
It is our belief that we must vigorously seek opportunities to engage students in the most relevant learning opportunities possible in order to prepare them for the demands of the future. Our children deserve no less than the best and our teachers, staff, and administrators are committed to providing the highest quality education so our students become lifelong learners and responsible citizens.
Location/Region: Tucson, AZ