Ensures students and other official passengers are transported safely and efficiently to and from school and other school related events (field trips, athletic events, etc.).
Disclaimer: The following duties are not intended to serve as a comprehensive list of all duties performed by all employees in this classification, only a representative summary of primary duties and responsibilities. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties listed and may be required to perform additional position specific duties.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides a high level of customer service to students, parents, and other district staff members
- Transports passengers (students, teachers, parents, etc.) to and from school and other district sanctioned events; ensures the safety and welfare of passengers.
- Ensures that students are delivered to proper drop-off points and are met by designated parent or guardian if required.
- Maintains order and discipline of students and other passengers according to regulations and policies. Files timely and accurate discipline referrals.
- Demonstrates and explains emergency evacuation procedures to passengers in accordance with Department of Public Safety Minimum Standards for School Buses and School Bus Drivers.
- Conducts all required inspections of the vehicle. Submits a work order for any deficiencies. Cleans and fuels bus.
- Obeys all traffic regulations and laws; ensures all DPS Minimum Standards are applied.
- Transports passengers according to official route directions. Requests updates to route sheets as needed.
- Prepares and submits reports and other information as required, accurately and in a timely manner.
- Operates wheelchair lift, and loads and unloads and safely secures passengers confined to wheelchairs, when applicable.
- Performs additional responsibilities and procedures as listed in the Transportation Handbook.
- Performs related duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to operate a standard or automatic transmission motor vehicle and foot controls with two feet simultaneously.
- Ability to use two-way communication equipment.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of situations.
- Ability to work cooperatively and courteously with staff, students, parents and community members.
- Knowledge of applicable Federal and State laws, district procedures and Board policies.
- Ability to handle confrontation and conflict without an emotional response.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- 2 years previous driving experience
- CPR and First Aid Certification
- Arizona Class B Driver’s License with air brake, passenger and school bus endorsements
- Arizona School Bus Driver Certification
- Any equivalent combination of training, education and experience that meets minimum requirements
$10.50/hour during training. After completion of training increase to $13.43/hour (ASRS Retirees will have a lower hourly rate due to the Alternate Contribution Rate)
9 month position - 35 hours/week
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
Discrimination against an otherwise qualified individual with a disability or any individual by reason of race, color, religion, sex, age, or national origin, is prohibited. Efforts will be made in recruitment and employment to ensure equal opportunity in employment for all qualified persons.
About this company
The Marana Unified School District is an integral part of the community and we take pride in knowing that the district is one of the reasons families choose to live in the Marana area. Our schools are dedicated to providing safe, secure and nurturing environments that facilitate and enhance student achievement and success. We are confident that we have a very special and educationally enriching experience to offer the children in our community.
It is our belief that we must vigorously seek opportunities to engage students in the most relevant learning opportunities possible in order to prepare them for the demands of the future. Our children deserve no less than the best and our teachers, staff, and administrators are committed to providing the highest quality education so our students become lifelong learners and responsible citizens.
Location/Region: Tucson, AZ