Provides support to students with disabilities to assist with a wide range of IEP related services so they may reach their highest potential within the academic setting.
Disclaimer: The following duties are not intended to serve as a comprehensive list of all duties performed by all employees in this classification, only a representative summary of primary duties and responsibilities. Incumbent(s) may not be required to perform all duties listed and may be required to perform additional position specific duties.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides a safe and supportive environment so students with special needs may fully access their education.
- Accompanies and assists students throughout the school day as necessitated by the IEP.
- Provides academic tutoring/remediation, 1:1 or in small group settings under the direction of a certified teacher.
- May transcribe instructional materials into Braille as needed.
- Assists and trains students in all areas of self-care as needed, including feeding, hygiene, dressing, mobility.
- Performs medical tasks as assigned under the direction or instruction of licensed medical providers (nurses, doctors) including, but not limited to catheterizations, care of trachea tubes, gastric tube feeding, etc.
- Maintains required records and files, performs Medicaid billings.
- Performs administrative and clerical duties as assigned (typing, filing, copying, data entry, meeting schedules, material preparation).
- Assists students with organizing activities, scheduling events, processing paperwork and other related activities.
- Assist with instruction of groups (priority): works one-on-one and in small groups with students on specific needs; monitors behaviors for behavior plans. Assist teacher in modifying student assignments as needed.
- Assists with informal student testing/monitoring of objectives (priority) – e.g. sight words, math facts, reading inventories, fluency checks.
- Performs classroom duties: bulletin boards; calendars; organizing/maintaining orderliness of classroom centers.
- May assist with IEP/paperwork on a limited basis.
- Completes and sends meeting notice forms, vision/hearing screening forms; creates goals/objectives checklists; distributes teacher input/communication forms.
- Schedules and contacts parents for IEP, CST, and MET meetings.
- Assists with proctoring DAPs and AIMS.
- May grade student work and record student goals/grades onto spreadsheets.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of accepted techniques and methods working with persons with disabilities.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing and perform mathematical calculations.
- Demonstrated general proficiency in computer programs such as Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook and with specialized computer-based equipment and software.
- Knowledge of all basic first aid methods, including CPR.
- Knowledge of specialized equipment used in the aid of children with special needs.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of situations.
- Ability to work cooperatively and courteously with staff, students, parents and community members.
- Perform all duties in accordance with Federal and State laws, district procedures and Board policies; including mandatory reporting procedures.
- High School diploma or equivalent
- 2 years of experience working with disabled children
- Current CPR/AED/First Aid Certification
- AZ Driver’s License
- Finger Print Clearance
- Any equivalent combination of training, education and experience that meets minimum requirements
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to reach with hands and arms. Walking, standing, sitting, stooping, bending and operating a motor vehicle may be required as a normal part of the job. The employee may be required to lift or move up to 80 pounds.
Indoors, and outdoor environment, in all types of weather. The noise level in the work environment is generally moderate and may become excessively noisy at times. Will have contact with students, staff and the public.